As a senior Quick Reaction Force (QRF) engineer at Inventory Planner, you will be working on jumping in front of any problems that would otherwise interrupt the main engineering team.
You are expected to have two distinct and critical operating modes: Reaction and Standby.
During “Reaction”, the QRF team is actively firefighting — solving some urgent, interruptive issue as the first line of defense against interruptions and supporting the other team by allowing it to focus.
During “Standby” you’ll be working on preventative items or things that help you react faster. These could be internal tools, improved monitoring / alerting, quality-of-life improvements, automation, or improved observability in logs or audits. You should strive not just to react to solve the instance of a problem but to avoid the entire class of problems from ever reaching engineering in the first place.
These will cover a broad class of problems from eCommerce integrations and data ingestion to metrics processing and user-facing features.
Inventory Planner launched in 2012 to help e-commerce merchants save time and money when purchasing inventory to better meet customer demand. Now integrated with over 30 platforms including marketplaces, accounting platforms, and inventory management systems, Inventory Planner shows merchants information from all of their sales channels. Merchants use Inventory Planner’s stock replenishment recommendations and assist with inventory planning, forecasting, reporting, and purchase order creation. Inventory Planner is a fully-remote team of planners and developers supporting thousands of merchants around the world.
In 2021, Inventory Planner joined Brightpearl group. Brightpearl is the number one Retail Operating System (ROS) that automates back end operations for retailers and wholesalers, from sales and inventory management to CRM and logistics, so that merchants can focus on growing fearlessly. This acquisition will allow Inventory Planner to accelerate the growth.
- Produce well documented, tested and readable code.
- Be comfortable exploring and evaluating new approaches and technologies, their appropriateness for our needs and adoption into our stack.
- Contribute to scaling up your systems and data processing pipelines as we grow our customer base, and our customers grow their data sets.
- Actively participate during incident reviews and look for improvements.
- Prioritise and triage your workload regularly to ensure it is well managed.
- Be comfortable exploring, analysing and communicating data to other functions inside and outside the organisation.
- Take strong ownership of assigned customer issues until handed off or resolved.
- Be comfortable communicating with your engineering colleagues around work tasks via Slack, email and audio calls.
- Actively seek to understand the business’s annual and quarterly strategic priorities.
- Develop and maintain a good level of relevant industry and market expertise.
- Help shape and develop company culture by:
- Working in an open and transparent manner.
- Collaborating with other team members towards shared goals.
- Maintain a continuous learning mindset.
- Availability from Monday to Friday during business working hours assigned by the company.
- Available for on-call emergencies as and when required.
- High-speed, reliable Internet connection.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Location: Remote within the Europe, Middle-East, Africa timezones.
- Senior-level PHP experience.
- Web framework and object-oriented database experience a plus. (We use VueJS and MongoDB respectively.)
Why Work For Us
Great people: You’ll join a collaborative team where your work will be supported and recognized.
Interesting product: We’re dedicated to building innovative solutions for our customers.
Remote culture: We support our team’s ability to be successful at work while balancing life outside the workplace.
Our Engineering Processes
We’re at a fascinating inflection point as our team evolves from a small founder-led team to a growing and maturing functional group within a larger company. We have a product that is stable, but with plenty of areas to innovate on and scaling challenges to wrestle with due to growth.
Our fully remote engineers have lots of space to experiment and autonomy to shape their week with a focus on getting the outcomes we agree without micromanagement and meeting hell.
Our Hiring Process
- Our process is designed to be light-weight in the early stages but comprehensive enough for you to figure out if you want to work with us and for us to ensure you’ll rise to the challenges we have to face together!
- Screening call (10 minutes)
- First interview with Head of Engineering
- Test/project (typically a few hours of own work solving an interesting problem on your own timeline)
- Second interview with CTO and Head of Engineering to review project
- Job offer
About Brightpearl Based in Bristol (UK) and Austin, Texas (US), Brightpearl provides a retail operating system (ROS) for retailers and wholesalers. Its mission is clear: automate the back office so merchants can spend their time and money growing the business. Brightpearl’s ROS includes financial management, inventory and sales order management, purchasing and supplier management, CRM, fulfillment, warehouse and logistics. In addition, the system has high-performing connectors to the major ecommerce platforms, including Magento, BigCommerce and Shopify. Brightpearl’s platform manages over 10m transactions and $5bn of business a year.
About Sage Sage exists to knock down barriers so everyone can thrive, starting with the millions of small and mid-sized businesses served by us, our partners and accountants. Customers trust our finance, HR and payroll software to make work and money flow. By digitising business processes and relationships with customers, suppliers, employees, banks and governments, our digital network connects SMBs, removing friction and delivering insights. Knocking down barriers also means we use our time, technology and experience to tackle digital inequality, economic inequality and the climate crisis.